House with the Heads.
The house with the Heads was built by Gilles Huppe (1567-1660).
Gilles Huppe was one of the many Walloon refugees who settled in Dordrecht early 17th century. He was born in Liège and died in Dordrecht. In October 1616 he bought an estate on the “Nieuwe werck” (Nieuwhaven), where he built his house.
Gilles Huppe was stonemason or sculptor and turned his house into a billboard by decorating it with beautiful heads, capitals and cartouches made of sandstone. Because of those decorations it received the name "The House with the Heads".
Several gates and houses are decorated by him with his sculptures, but he received fame through his sculptures at the “Groothoofdspoort” and “Nieuwpoort" (Melkpoortje) in Dordrecht.
Unfortunately, many of his sculptures disappeared in the 20th century. However the remains gives a good impression of his craftsmanship.